Five boys from Enfield have been convicted of murdering Jacob Abraham in Waltham Cross.
Jacob was found with multiple stab wounds after being lured to an alleyway in Hurst Drive on December 7, 2017 – just hours after he had helped his mum make sandwiches for the homeless.
The court heard that Jacob had been stabbed eight times in the legs and once through the arm in the attack carried out in a service area behind his family home.
The defendants’ names and length of sentences are:
The court heard how the boys had travelled from Enfield to Waltham Cross on the evening of December 7, 2017, with the intention of causing serious harm to 15-year-old Jacob, who had previously complained of trouble between him and other young people from outside the county.
CCTV footage showed them travelling by both bus and train from North London to Waltham Cross before they walked to Hurst Drive, where Jacob lived with his family.
Gray and Stephens received 14 years in prison, Mohamed was handed 13 years, and Mahomud and Fisher Dixen received 12 years' imprisonment.
The investigation quickly progressed and all five boys were arrested and charged with joint enterprise murder.
In a victim impact statement Jacob’s mother said: “I think that I will always struggle to come to terms with the loss of my son, Jacob. He was only 15 years old and had his life ahead of him. His death has left a large hole for all of us.
“The people that have committed this murder will go to prison but they will still get to see their family and will one day be released. We will never get to see Jacob again and I cannot describe how sad that makes me feel.”
Detective Chief Inspector Jerome Kent, who led the investigation, said: “This was a tragic and upsetting case for my whole team to investigate due to the young age of both the victim and the offenders, who are just children.
“We had tremendous support from the local community and partner agencies during the investigation and trial. We would not have gathered the evidence we did without their help.
“I also want to pay tribute to Jacob’s family, who have shown incredible strength throughout the investigation and on the few occasions they felt able to attend court to face their son’s attackers.
“I don’t think I can say that I am pleased with today’s result because I’d rather not be in this position at all. A young boy has lost his life and five more have ruined theirs and those of their families.
“If those boys had chosen not to carry knives that night then I truly believe Jacob would still be alive today. Now they, and more importantly Jacob’s family, have to forever live with the consequences of what they have done.”
Broxbourne Chief Inspector Ian Butler said: “This is such a tragic case. My message is: please don’t carry a knife on our streets. I have seen too many officers come back from visiting scenes of stabbings, and in Jacob’s case, the loss of a young child’s life.”
“Our youth intervention project is key to partnership working. We’re engaging with a number of school’s across the borough and information sharing with them.
“The idea is that when we identify those individuals most at risk, we can then provide a support worker to work with partners, the school, the young person and their family to give that child the best chance of not getting dragged into knife or gang crime.
Thanks for stopping by. We welcome your comments.